Next, we have the ketogenic diet plan. It is more popular as a Keto Diet program. This diet plan is unique because it utilizes the ketosis state on your body to burn fats and loses excess weight. To get your body into that state, you have to lower your carbohydrate intake and increase your protein and fats intake. In short, you will eat more meat in this diet.
Compared to the vegan diet, we can say that Keto Diet is plain the opposite of that vegetable-based diet. Some people, especially meat lovers, prefer to use this diet because of obvious reasons. However, there is also concern regarding this diet plan. Is a ketogenic diet plan healthy? Can we do that anytime we want it?
Regarding its safety or whether it is healthy or not, we can only say, it is safe and healthy as a short-term diet plan. Ketosis is a condition that happens naturally in extreme situations. For example, if you are stranded on the inhabitant island or lost in the jungle where you can’t find any source of carbohydrates. You have to survive by eating animal there, which make your body enter that ketosis mode.
However, that condition only happens naturally. Your body adapts to the situation you are facing. Keto Diet, on the other hand, forces your body to enter that ketosis state. Therefore, from the medical point of view, it is not healthy. However, we can minimize its negative side effect and get the amazing weight loss result with proper management of your Keto Diet plan. And, one of them is doing it for the short term only.
Here is the list of foods that you have to reduce its portion in your meal to keep your keto diet plan healthy.
- Sugary type foods, like cake, ice cream, and others,
- Grain and starches ingredients, like rice, cereal, or any wheat-based products,
- All kinds of fruits except for some types of berries, like strawberries,
- Beans and legumes, you can’t eat any beans, chickpeas, peas, lentils, and other types of beans,
- Root type vegetable, like potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, and other,
- Low-fat ingredients, any ingredients with low fats property is not allowed,
- Condiments and sauces, like ketchup, barbecue sauce, and others,
- Unhealthy fats, like mayonnaise, processed vegetable oils, and others. You are only allowed to eat healthy fats because they will become a big part of your diet menu,
- No alcohol during your Keto Diet period,
- Sugar-free diet food, such as puddings, desserts, syrups, and others, is also not allowed.
On the other hand, the foods that you can eat during this diet plan healthy time are:
- Any type of meat from beef, ham, sausage to chicken, turkey, and other poultry meat,
- Fish, especially the fatty type fish, like tuna, salmon, and mackerel,
- Eggs, especially the pastured type that has a lot of Omega-3,
- Butter and cream,
- Cheese, choose only unprocessed cheese type, such as cream cheese, mozzarella, blue cheese, cheddar cheese and other,
- Nuts and seeds, you can’t eat beans but nuts and eat is allowed. So, you can have a snack with walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and other similar types of nut and seeds,
- Healthy oils, add some of it to induce the aroma and improve the taste. The healthy oil you can use are coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, or avocado oil,
- Avocado, the best fruit you can eat during your Keto Diet period. It has carbohydrates, so your body can get it from this fruit. You can eat it raw or use it to make guacamole,
- Vegetables, you can eat vegetables but only those that have low carbohydrate levels, such as tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, and green veggies,
- Condiments to spice up your food, such as pepper, salt, herbs, and various types of spices.
As you can see from the foods that you can and can’t eat, your body won’t get enough nutrients and vitamins from the vegetable and fruits. However, it also helps you to burn fats much faster than other diets. So, it is recommended diet plan you can try.
Here, we have a sample of the healthy ketogenic diet plan for one week period. It is a good plan you can try first before you use the full Keto Diet plan. Mostly, this diet plan takes at least three months and a maximum of six months.
Breakfast – have egg muffins with some veggies and tomatoes,
Lunch – chicken salad with a sprinkle of olive oil is the best choice with enough amount of feta cheese,
Dinner – baked salmon served with butter-fried asparagus.
Breakfast – Omelet with tomato, spinach, and basil as the filling,
Lunch – almond milk and spinach, plus Stevia milkshake,
Dinner – cheese-shell tacos and salsa.
Breakfast – chia with nut milk. Add some coconut and blackberries for more flavors,
Lunch – Avocado and shrimp salad,
Dinner – Pork chop with broccoli and salad, then add some Parmesan cheese on it.
Breakfast – Omelet, and as for its filling, choose avocado, peppers, salsa, and onion with some spices for an extra kick,
Lunch – a bowl of nuts. Throw in some celery sticks to add more flavor and texture. Then, prepare some guacamole and salsa for the dip,
Dinner – oven-baked chicken with cream cheese and pesto filling. Add some grilled zucchini to the side dish.
Breakfast – a bowl of Greek yogurt. Choose the sugar-free and whole milk type. Add peanut butter and berries for extra flavor.
Lunch – tacos and lettuce wrap filled with ground beef. Add sliced bell peppers for extra color, flavor, and texture.
Dinner – vegetable mixed, mainly cauliflower and other allowed vegetables.
Breakfast – pancakes with cream cheese. Put the blueberries topping and grilled mushroom,
Lunch – Zucchini salad with some beet noodles,
Dinner – Fried white fish. Use coconut oil to fry it. Add some toasted pine nuts and kale as well.
Breakfast – fried eggs (sunny tops or scramble, it is up to you). Add some mushroom in it too,
Lunch – sesame chicken with broccoli,
Dinner – spaghetti with Bolognese and squash sauce. It is the cheap diet plan healthy eating menu you can get anywhere.
One thing to remember here is the Keto Diet plan is not for everyone. If you have some health condition, like liver problem or diabetes, you shouldn’t try this diet program. Therefore, as we mentioned before, it is wiser to ask your doctor, dietitian, and nutritionist first. Find out whether your body and overall health are suitable for using the ketosis-based diet to lose weight.